Bye bye ubuntu

  • 0
I happily loaded ubuntu gutsy gibbon until it came to start x. Nothing happened with no error. Okay I thought, ill try the alternative text install. Installed fine but still the same problem as the live cd. I even tried the fluxubuntu spin-off. After hours of playing with xorg with different settings I gave up.

No linux on the hard drive I set out to look for a new distribution to try out. What I really want is debian but its 3 cds (I cant be bothered). So I put it down to debian based. In the end though I just burned a cd of SimplyMepis 6.5 which is ubuntu/debian based, using some ubuntu repositories. It comes with KDE 3.5, bundled with beryl. No offense to the kubuntu team, the mepis KDE is much better. Iv noticed its faster too.

Its not bleeding edge using the dapper repositories yet it just works. I wish it had the debian repositories. I don't know much about it but I understand that mepis 7.0 will be using the debian cycle. In that case I would be very happy to use mepis 7.0 over ubuntu.

The default blue SimplyMEPIS KDE desktop:

No comments:

Post a Comment